Monday, December 29, 2008

Abbreviations of.

there is one word, no, abbreviation of a phrase, that causes something similar to disgust and implosion of fury in my mind every time i see it.

ily.

WHAT. THE FUCK.
i do not understand. every time i see it, i can hear this annoyingly high pitched, whiney voice saying it like "EE-LEEEEEEEE YOU!". and if you say that, you're saying " i love you you." 

that don't make sense, fool!

i've tried using it many a time just to be in with all these young hooligan kids with their hippity hoppity riff raff bojangle dangle slang, but i feel every time i try to use it, i'm breaking some sacred vow of english language, i feel like i'm abusing the laws of life and all that is good and pure and decent. don't ask me why, it just happens. maybe it's because ILY is such a derogatory way to express love in my opinion. ok, so that sounds stupid, but think about it and you realise the word love and all its connotations is so overly used now, it's lost all meaning. 

now, not saying i'm not guilty of using "lol", "omg" and "brb" and such in my vocabulary every now and then (that's where people start looking at me disgustedly),  but it's very much the same with many abbreviated phrases nowadays. the more we use them, the more it seems we're trying to find the perfect word, one word that will sum up everything, so there is no need for dictionaries, no need for the english lanuguage, or any language at all. because one day, there will be one singular word that will be universally understood that is an answer to everything. which seems to me to be reminiscent of George Orwell's Nineteen-Eighty Four. and that scares the shit out of me. 

so the next time, happy bloggers, you want to you use that abbreviation of i love you, think about what you're killing.

the connotations, the meaning, and the english language.










p.s i've just learnt from my learned friend Carl that there is no universally acknowledged abbreviation for the word abbreviate. 

WHAT KIND OF STUPID....holy crap.


p.p.s but then i looked it up and there's abbr. so he's wrong. i think.

4 comments:

  1. I may be wrong; it has been known to happen on occasion... That said, the last time I heard anything about that (because I’ve asked the same question myself) there was no official abbr. for the word abbreviation.

    Oh, fun.

    Seriously tho, the whole language thing, 1984 to the max. I think that EVERY SINGLE TIME I hear someone SAY "Lol" ... right before I kick the living day lights out of them for ruining an already beautiful and highly poetic language, that has been spoiled beyond recognition by (I blame) MTV, the mass media, and the internet.

    I have always believed that language evolves, and if you study it, I’m sure you'd agree with me, or you may not, but your entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong. But seriously, language does evolve.. Hundreds of years ago, thy speech t'was filled yonder with the stately march and beauty of Ye Olde English, and thy beauty exceeds something or other, wouldst thou meet more for a shitty star bucks coffee, etc.. It was all very long winded... now we say "Omg hi, Drnks @ Star$'s @ 4 in da citee?"

    Is this evolution?

    No.
    No it is not. Evolution is, I believe, something growing to better itself, and survive. This is de-evolution, if there is such a term (there is now... Its language evolving... or de-evolving... or... wait. Shit.) or language. This will destroy art, poetry, intelligent thinking, and comprehensive conversation. I already refuse to speak to most people on msn if all they do is talk in "leet" also known as "l337 speak" which commonly uses numbers and symbols instead of r34l w0rd5 4nd ch4r3ct3r'5.

    Love love
    xxooxx
    C. Murray

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh carl.

    that was the best comment i've ever had from a reader. so far.

    danke!
    dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. im guilty of txting ily, but it was done to me first. i get why you dont like it, it used to annoy the shit outta me! and i understand fully why you dislike it, tbh i dislike it too, untill its said out loud in its un-abbriviated form.
    just know ill never use ily to you, ill just say i love you, which i do my friend =)
    love Louisa <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I write far to much.

    Oh, and part of that comment is so going in my next blog. The whol destabilization of the english language is something i have ranted about for ages, but never blogged.
    XD

    Best comment "so far." This is totally gonna become a competition somehow, with someone.. it always does.

    :P
    xxooxx
    C. Murray

    ReplyDelete